10 Ministries will form FMIS Implementing Working Group (FIWG)
10 ministries’ representatives will form FIWG at their own ministries in preparation for FMIS Phase II implementation in 2017. The decision is made in a meeting between FMIS Management Working Group (FMWG) of Ministry of Economy and Finance led by H.E Dr. Hean Sahib Secretariat of State of Ministry of Economy and Finance and the Chairman of FMWG with other top management from 10 ministries on 12nd January of 2017 at MEF.
The 10 ministries include:
- Ministry of Economy and Finance
- Ministry of Education Youth and Sports
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries
- Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training
- Ministry of Women Affairs
- Ministry of Posts and Telecommunication
- Ministry of Civil Service
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Industry and Handicraft
In the occasion, H.E Dr. Hean Sahib stated that involvement and cooperation from officials at all levels are very necessary without that FMIS cannot go forward. Technical is one thing; however, users’ perception is very tough and requires assistance from top management to achieve since this matter depends on decision and high responsibility.
Her Excellency, representative of Ministry of Health similarly stated that: I believe FMIS is very essential in both policy and technical level and in the future if the public could possibly be able to look at the financial information at some level, it will be best for all of us.
Some benefits that Line-Ministries, entities and sub-national administration will receive when fully utilize FMIS:
- Strengthen organizational accountability and ownership on budget management and implementation
- Reduce resource spent on processing document at each procedure
- Monitor on budget implementation of Line Ministries, Capital-Provincial Economy and Finance, and Sub-national Entities to be more effective with the ability to obtain timely financial statement by themselves
- Receive a foundation in revising operating procedures that could lead to any delay in budget implementation
- Able to conveniently manage and implement program budgeting with the use of budget classification in the system itself
- Able to monitor on budget credit for budget level line-ministries, Capital-Provincial Economy and Finance, and Sub-national Entities by themselves with timely manner
- Use the system to work on financial transaction in accordance to operating procedures.
- Monitor on budget implementation through the workflow in the system (when send, after verifying, and after approval)
Having seen the benefits and sensed the urgency in having FMIS in work performance and financial information record in Cambodia, all ministries gave full supports in receiving FMIS at their ministries.
All ministries will also issue an announcement letter on appointing team members for the implementing working group (FIWG) who will work closely with FMWG of Ministry of Economy and Finance including Information Technology Department, General Department of Budget, General Department of National Treasury, and General Department of Sub-National Administration.
Representative from Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (MoEYS) stated that the ministry is ready at all times to welcome FMIS presence because MoEYS has been a close partner who placed special attention on any reforms. Additionally, MOEYs also has experience in implementing a similar project, which will be a plus for receiving FMIS.
FMIS implementation in 2017 will be in steps starting from five line ministries and continuing to another five before expanding to other ministries continuously.